Sunday, December 10, 2017

My opinion - Why you shouldn't buy a Nintendo Switch this 2018 holiday season



So- why not? The Nintendo Switch has been selling out everywhere, and even when I got it, during the summer, I had to hunt down and go to multiple Best Buys in order to find one that had them in stock. The device itself works great! It isn’t overly expensive (but it wouldn’t hurt if it was cheaper), the specs are pretty decent, the concept of playing in the dock and on the go is good, and it has a decent game library now that we’re a good ways into its lifetime.


But the negatives break it for me. When I had a DS as one of my first systems, it was glorious. I carried it around almost everywhere, as it fit right in my pocket. The games weren’t expensive, and I got some good deals on many games at Blockbuster (yea, Blockbuster).


The console itself was also very cheap, and it was worth it. It might not have been the latest and greatest in hardware, but it did its job.


This isn’t true for the Switch. I was hoping that I would be able to carry it around everywhere, just like my DS. Unlike my DS however, it doesn’t fit in my pocket. I have to put my Switch into my carrying case, and it’s a hassle to take it out and put it in on the go. I knew this going in though, but I didn’t expect the difference it would make.


The Switch also feels and looks more expensive than its DS counterpart. Losing or breaking a DS would have way less of an impact to one’s wallet than doing the same with a Switch (no matter how sturdy it might be).


To properly protect one’s Switch costs money and time, and those are things that most people cannot afford. Talking about things I can’t afford - the Switch’s games. All of the first party Nintendo games for the Switch are above 40 USD, and most of them are above 50 USD, it’s just the poorly reviewed Bomberman that’s holding them back to 40 USD. Sure: most of the Switch’s first party titles are amazing. But if you’re buying the Switch for anything that isn’t those titles, than it definitely isn’t worth it.


Yes, the Switch (finally) has some decent third party games, indie and not. There’s Skyrim, although that’s still the full 60 USD. Binding of Isaac, my personal favorite (don’t hate, Zelda is good too), but Isaac is arguably better to play on PC. So is Stardew Valley, another great indie game. The Switch’s controls are worse than that of a full keyboard, which makes a difference for Stardew Valley. Rocket League is another favorite of mine, but again, other consoles and computer provide a better experience. Even Minecraft is better on PC with an infinite number of supported multiplayer servers.


What does this leave us with? Well, if you are buying the Switch solely to play new Nintendo first party games, go ahead. If you’re buying a Switch for the young uns, it’s better to go for the Wii, Wii-U (yes, I know how bad it is but it has some decent games and is cheap), the 3DS, or something else. A Nintendo Switch could easily break in the hands of someone not as careful with technology. If you’re buying for third party titles on the go, it isn’t worth it. The Switch is a great console, but it’s not for most.

No comments:

Post a Comment